Useful Travel Information
Malaria: Umlani Bushcamp is a Low-risk malaria area. However please note that we do recommend Malaria prophylaxis be taken for health reasons.
Map: To view a map of Umlani Bushcamp click here.
Driving to Umlani Bushcamp:
The direct route when driving to Umlani Bushcamp from Gauteng will take safari travellers approximately 5 hours.
- If driving to Umlani Bushcamp from Pretoria, take the N4 from Pretoria to eMalahleni (Witbank), which then joins the N12 from Johannesburg at eMalahleni (Witbank).
- If driving to Umlani Bushcamp from Johannesburg, take the N12 from Johannesburg to eMalahleni (Witbank), which then joins the N4 from Pretoria at eMalahleni (Witbank).
- Travel past eMalahleni (Witbank)and Middelburg on the N4 (main route to Mbombela (Nelspruit) and Maputo).
- After Middelburg take the Belfast turnoff off the N4 (there is an Engen One Stop on the RHS of the N4 just after the offramp).
- Turn left from the offramp and continue into Belfast.
- Continue through 1 stop sign before going into town.
- At the second stop sign in town (1 block after the Spar shop on the LHS), turn right towards Dullstroom.
- Travel for approx. 35km from Belfast to Dullstroom.
- Continue straight through Dullstroom to Mashising (Lydenburg) (approximately 50km from Dullstroom).
- On reaching Mashising (Lydenburg), you will come to a T-junction where you need to turn left to go through town.
- Continue straight through town, past the Wimpy on the left.
- At the next stop sign after the Wimpy turn left.
- Continue down to the second stop sign. At the second stop sign turn right toward Ohrigstad.
- Travel approx. 50km from Mashising (Lydenburg) to Ohrigstad.
- Continue straight through Ohrigstad and on to the JG Strijdom Tunnel via the Abel Erasmus Pass (approximately 40km from Ohrigstad).
- After the Tunnel continue straight on to Hoedspruit (approximately 40km from the tunnel).
- On entering Hoedspruit, go straight over the first stop sign, straight at the second stop sign, over the railway bridge and at the third stop sign turn right.
- Travel for approximately 7km from Hoedspruit and you will see a number of signs for lodges, as well as a sign for Eastgate Airport, to the left.
- Turn left towards Eastgate Airport, and you are on the road into the Timbavati Nature Reserve.
- Travel along the Timbavati Road past the Hoedspruit/ Eastgate Airport on the left hand side.
- Approximately 10 minutes after the Airport you will arrive at the Timbavati Gate (R120 for issue of permit p/vehicle)
- Once through the main gate continue along the tar road and cross the Klaserie River.
- Once through the Timbavati Gate look out for the UMLANI sign (+/- 8.5 km ) on your left on a large concrete block.
- At that point, turn right onto the small bush road & follow the small wooden UMLANI signs to the camp.
Driving to Umlani Bushcampvia the Panorama Route is a scenic pleasure. A wonderful self-drive holiday route, the Panorama route encompasses Pilgrim's Rest, God's Window, Blyde River Canyon, Mac Mac Falls and other wonderful places. This trip is well worthwhile, taking in spectacular scenery as well as some quaint towns and villages. Driving to Umlani Bushcamp via this route adds about 3 hours onto your travelling time, but the scenery is so spectacular that it is well worth it. Contact us for details.
Transport with Driver:
Driving to Umlani Bushcamp from Johannesburg International Airport is easy. We can arrange your transportation to the bush camp via the Panorama Route, with lunch on the way. Contact us for details.
Daily Shuttle OR Tambo/Umlani - Umlani/OR Tambo:
Departure 06:30 OR Tambo to Umlani. Arrives at Timbavati gate at approximately 13:00.
Departure 11:00 Timbavati gate. Arrives at OR Tambo at approximately 18:00.
This shuttle service is operated by Ashton's Tours and can be arranged through our reservations. Approximate drive time is 6-7 hours.
Self-Drive Safari Car Hire:
Hire cars can be collected at any airport by arrangement with relevant hire company. Approximate drive time from Johannesburg to Umlani 6-7 hours, from Mbombela (Nelspruit) (KMI) to Umlani is 2 - 3 hours, Hoedspruit to Umlani is 35 minutes.
Flying to Umlani Bushcamp
Daily (scheduled) flight:
Fly-in safaris are extremely popular amongst those who don't have as much time. Flying to Umlani Bushcamp is easy as SA Express runs two daily return flights to Hoedspruit Airport from Johannesburg OR Tambo every day. For guests flying to Umlani Bushcamp from Cape Town International Airport there are direct flights three times a week (Sunday, Tuesday and Thursday) to Hoedspruit Airport. Flying time is 2.5 hours.
There are several air charter companies who service the area. If you would like us to help you with arrangements for flying to Umlani Bushcamp, please contact our reservations office or contact Federal Air. Our nearest landing strip is the Rock Fig airstrip, which is at the following GPS co-ordinates:
S 024 17' 824 x E 031 17' 197
The runway is tarred and is 1000m in length. Landing fees are payable and permission must be obtained first! We can collect you from the airstrip.
What to Bring
We have compiled a list of recommended items to pack to aid you in planning your safari. Casual, comfortable clothing in neutral colours, such as khaki, brown, olive and beige, are best for safaris and game walks. White is not suitable as it increases your visability to animals and it gets dirty very quickly. It is recommended that you keep your luggage to a minimum.
Umlani Bushcamp Winter Months (May - Sep)
Warm clothes are needed for evening activities (thick jacket). Light sweaters are sufficient for midday
Umlani Buscamp Summer Months (Oct - April)
Light cotton clothing. T-shirts and shorts for everyday wear. Long sleeved shirts and cotton trousers for evening wear for warmth and protection from mosquitoes.
Clothing To Pack:
- 2 pairs cotton trousers
- 2 pairs shorts
- 2 long sleeved shirts
- 5 t-shirts
- 1 light sweater
- 1 lightweight, waterproof windbreaker
- 1 warm padded jacket in winter
- 1 pair good walking shoes
- underwear & socks
- swimming costume
- wide brimmed hat
- scarf & gloves in winter
- insect repellant
- high factor sunblock (the African sun is harsh most of the year)
- lip balm
- torch & batteries (head torch preferable)
- camera & accessories (remember spare batteries & more than 1 memory card)
- South African adapter
- anti-malaria prophylactics (speak to your doctor first)
- good quality sunglasses (preferably polarised)
- good book
- personal medication
+ WEATHER AT UMLANI BUSHCAMP
+ LATEST TWEETS FROM UMLANI BUSHCAMP
+ STAY CONNECTED
Stay intouch with Umlani Bushcamp in a number of ways. So what are you waiting for, look, follow, like and enjoy, and if you were one of our many satisfied guests then write a review and let others know the good news.